Saturday, May 17, 2014

OLG 2013-2014 Youth Ministry Reflections

First Meeting with Ray a the new Youth Minister


I remember the first time Ray stopped by during a Life Night while I was giving a talk. I did not turn to look at him but I knew he had walked in. I had not met him yet so I had no idea who was listening as I gave my talk. Somehow though I felt his presence and thought Ray was someone new in my life of significance. I finally met Ray during a Life Teen planning session for the following Confirmation year. I immediately jumped to help facilitate this meeting by writing thoughts on the board we had. I liked the fact that Ray was very open to my assistance and seemed to appreciate it.

 

Bonfire at Bolsa Chica


All I remember is that Cecilia was going to the bonfire at the beach with Ray and the teens. Ray didn’t invite me, but I figured more adults present is always a good thing. Also I love beach bonfires. Turns out it was the opening ice breaker for the LIFT Team Retreat, starting the year off with fun team building and prayer. I was very impressed. I was also impressed by the fact that there were teens from his old parish helping him with his retreat. The fact that James, OJ and Freddy and Steven were there to lend Ray a hand with this retreat is a testimony of the work God has done through Ray already.


LIFT Team


After the retreat I emailed Ray my testimony and let him know that I was very interested in being an adult leader for LIFT since there were many ladies present. Ray was kind enough to allow me to join. It has been a blessing to see Ray work all year with the team. To see him teach them how to reach out to the youth they are ministering to as well as how to run a retreat. I especially love the way he leads prayer because it is outside the box with God at the center. Defying Gravity was the first song I heard for opening prayer. His prayer feels fresh. I missed attending the LIFT Team Retreat in December. In hindsight I should have gone but it conflicted with something else and I had to work so I chose badly. The Team came back closer. They definitely bonded during the retreat and I missed out on an opportunity.



Confirmation 2014 Retreat


Overall I really enjoyed the retreat. There were differences from what I am used to but I really appreciated the retreat as it unfolded. We had music but not a worship team which was a big change for me, however it allowed Ray, Juan Lori and I to sing during Adoration which I have to say was my favorite moment of the retreat. I love worship. Jesus was present in a little room in a monstrance. It was awesome finding Jesus there and spending time with him. Reconciliation time went well. I thought it would be too long but everyone went so it was actually quite perfect.



The LIFT Team did a great job leading and the talks and testimonies were all wonderful. The Holy Spirit was most definitely there. I felt blessed to be a part of it all. The kids in general were good about following directions and did not cause problems. It was great seeing them respond. After each talk the LIFT Team went to hug the person who gave the talk. As the weekend progressed teens started to get up and hug the speakers. During Steve’s talk, there was so much love that Ray was getting hugs as well. That was a beautiful moment. The other amazing moment was during Geysi’s talk when EVERY TEEN got up to give her a hug. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. God was fully present and felt throughout this retreat.


LA Youth Day 2014 Confirmation 1 Retreat

Ray was coordinating both the opening and the closing ceremony. Ray was a part of the Youth Day Team and was able to use some of our teens to participate in the ceremonies. He told us early on that he would need us to take all of Confirmation 1 to Youth Day as their Confirmation 1 Retreat. I was very excited and happy to go and I made sure to clear my schedule to attend. Mario was kind enough to pick me up and give me a ride to church.


We went in 2 busses and I was in charge of a bus. Making sure that everyone was on and that we were going to the right location. We arrived first. We waited for the 2nd bus of folks to make it to the Convention Center before we went into the Arena. We made sure to go to the bathroom first. Next year I will go straight into the arena and not wait for the second bus. We ended up sitting back stage, NOT the best view. We were behind the music team. 


Once we entered we ended up sitting on 2 different levels. I was sad about our seating arrangement but I was so happy to hear the worship music so I just focused on the music. I made sure our teens stood up and clapped to get a little into it. They were not really happy I was making them stand up. It was a struggle but I felt that they needed to represent and participate. The large group session went well. Then we had a quick restroom break before Mass. As I was looking for some girls I ran into Marissa an long lost friend. It was a blast from the past and I hugged her so hard and so long. It was like finding something I lost and didn’t realize how much I missed until I saw her again. It was a blessing.

 

After Mass we went to lunch. We led the kids out to an area where we could sit and eat. I had to take some girls to the restroom. Ray called to find out where we were. I told him that I was at the restroom but the kids were near the parking lot and in the Palm trees. I saw him hanging with the kids during lunch. I packed some extra sandwiches in case someone forgot their lunch. Ray hadn’t eaten so I gave him a bread and cheese sandwich, not grilled. Another girl took the last PB&J I had. 


We went to our afternoon sessions afterwards and said bye to Ray. We were going to see him at his closing session. My afternoon session was with Fr. Rob Galea. It was about bringing the liturgy to life for our teens. Fr. Rob is a singer so he performed for us as well during his talk. It was a great session. Fr. Rob has totally given himself over to God in his ministry and it was beautiful to see. Finally we go to Ray’s closing session. I found a section in the middle facing the stage. I felt like we scored. Again I made the kids stand up. There were some who refused and finally I moved them away from the middle off to the side where the rest of OLG was sitting. I loved the worship session and I just kept dancing around our teens. Checking on them and worshipping with them as well. I loved Youth Day. The last thing was finding the bus and making sure I had all the kids. That took some time. Eventually we found the bus and 2 missing kids. We made it back to OLG safe and sound.

 

LifeTeen


Life Teen was a challenge this year because one of the adults backed out and transportation was an issue for me. The year started off great with Ray picking me up and Cecilia taking me home. Cecilia stopped due to personal reasons and I had to figure out transportation. There was also some drama that we didn’t talk about as a team but that came to light in pieces and that hurt my feelings. I felt a lack of unity and like we were just going through the motions and anything that happened that was good was solely due to God and His grace and mercy.




I made it clear to all individually that my purpose for being on the team was to back up Ray. I am here to support Ray as he ministers to the youth of OLG. I told this to everyone including Ray and Jose his supervisor. Ray is a blessing that God has given OLG and we should be thanking God instead of being upset by how things are different.

 

Lent

I brought my friend Heather to the Ash Wednesday Service and Ray sat with us. I learned that the Faith Formation team was running the Lenten Meal program and so I decided to come and help. Ash Wednesday we just ate and shared our meal with Elizabeth and Ray served us. It was great.



I returned every Friday to help as needed. Turns out I was needed to cook and help expedite orders. Sandra was the chef in charge of the kitchen. She did not know me and had no idea what I could do. I assured her I was there to help. First I started by cutting the fried fish for the fish tacos. After 2 hours of cutting I was tired. Then she needed shrimped cooked. She handed me the pan and says, “Cook the shrimp.” I said, “OK Sandra. I don’t know what I am doing but I will cook the shrimp.” Oscar was there and he helped me. Over the 4 weeks that I went I helped with the Fish Tacos, Potato Tacos, serving soup, salad, capirotada and making grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas.



At the end of each Friday meal I would go to the Stations of the Cross. The third week I was asked to read the English Stations since it was Life Teen’s turn. Ray offered me the opportunity. I love to read. I had a great time and I even helped Fr. Greg with the Parce Domine song. It was a blessing to be there to serve. Afterward the head of the lectors, Alfonse, asked me to become a lector as did Fr. Greg. It was an honor but I am unable to make the commitment. 

 

Final Thoughts


I have learned much this year being a part of this OLG Youth Ministry. I have seen Ray do great things and stand firm during the storm of conflict. Ray has acted with grace and dignity and truly lead by the Spirit. Ray is generous and kind and has a heart for the youth to bring them closer to Christ.

 

I keep praying for all the changes coming to OLG. I know that God has a plan for good and that He is leading us where He wants us to go. I pray for Fr. McCarthy as he retires. I pray for the new pastor that comes. I pray for OLG Youth Ministry next year. I continue to be here to support Ray and the youth of OLG. I pray for next year’s team that we have more of a spirit of unity and peace.

 

Confirmation was May 18th. Everything went well. Bishop Brown, Fr. McCarthy and Fr. Martin presided. It was but beautiful. I had a front row view. It a a 2 year journey and helping teens grow closer to Christ is a privilege, honor and responsibility I enjoy thoroughly. God Bless these teens as well as our team. Lift Team Rocks! Well done.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment