Sunday, May 25, 2014

Rome 2014

Rome – Canonization of St. John Paul II & St. John 23rd
April 23rd – April 30th 2014
 
The day it was announced that April 27th the Vatican would Canonize St. John Paul II I knew I had to be there. I felt like God said look you get to go to see John Paul II. I always loved him and wanted to see him in person but it never happened and then he died. It was really like losing my own father it hurt so much. I always knew he was a Saint walking around on earth a living Saint. To be able to attend the Mass that officially declared him a Saint of the Catholic Church I could not miss. I did not know anyone else that was going. I looked at all the vacation tours and they all like to stay at 4 star hotels. I wanted a simple vacation. This was truly a pilgrimage a spiritual journey; a time to pray and explore this living ancient city. It was the trip of a life time. I dream big but I am also realistic. I know that if it is not God’s will then I won’t be able to go.  Work gave me the time off for vacation. That was the big sign that I could go. Work said yes! Now I needed money. I am not a saver. People recommended a website to help pay for it. I felt weird asking for money from friends. So I asked Amazon for an increase on my credit card. Amazon said yes! So now I had the money. I have to pay them back of course but I was now able to pay for my airfare. I still needed my passport. I had everything ready so one day I finally went to the post office to make an appointment. I had everything I needed so they said, “I will take it now.” And in less than 2 weeks I had my expedited passport! Now the USA said I get to go. Then I started the website at Go Fund Me Dot Com and I raised $530 primarily through my online Firefly friends with a handful of old school friends as well. I received $130 in cash from not online people so in all I raised $660 to help pay for this trip. It was lovely to receive so much support from everyone. It felt like my going meant they were going with me in spirit.

DAY 0 Monday April 21, 2014 Getting Ready

I flew out of LAX Tuesday at 8:30am. That meant getting dropped off by 5:30am which meant leaving the house at 4:45am. I had so much to do! I’m a last minute packer. I was going to go shopping then decided against it but Mom said there were lots of sales. So I bought some new pants, capris, and tops with a few shrugs (it’s like a vest sweater with short sleeves, I didn’t know what they are called, had to ask) as well as a light cardigan for just in case it was colder. The hardest thing was getting Euros. Everyone said go to a big bank. No one said a week in advance. Banks have to order Euros. Point of interest there are 4 Chase banks in So Cal that carry Euros. Luckily I found one and arrived literally minutes before it was due to close. So Monday before I left was hectic to say the least. I packed my bags. Mom gave me a Naproxen pill because I was tired and sore from all the running around. Not sure what happened next. I choose to blame the pill and call it an allergic reaction. It could have been the stress and nerves of actually being ready to go to Rome by myself. I broke out in HIVES. I was itching all over. I took a quick shower. Then I took some Benadryl in case it was an allergic reaction and that seemed to work. Then I just crashed. I was unable to get up. I was ready to go when I woke up at 4am the next morning. Mom drove me to the airport.

Day 1 Tuesday April 22, 2014 Flying to Rome

Mom dropped me off. I had everything I needed and she left. I got my boarding pass and made it through security no problem. My first flight was LAX to PHL Philadelphia. It is a 5 hour flight. However a 3 hour time difference so really 8:30am is 11:30am Philadelphia time. We arrived at 4:30pm Philadelphia time. I bought myself a Philly Cheesesteak with mushrooms and onions, delicious. I tried to charge my phone a little but not enough. My flight was scheduled to depart at 6:25pm, there was a small delay. Rome is now 6 hours ahead of Philadelphia that means 9 hours from California time. I landed in Rome at 9:10am. That would be 12:10am California time.

Day 2 Wednesday April 23, 2014 Arriving in Rome

By the time I freshened up in the restroom and made it through Customs it was 10am. The Bed and Breakfast I stayed at offered to schedule a driver to pick me up at the airport. I appreciated the offer so I decided it would be wise to accept. Davide was there waiting with a sign that had my name on it, just like in the movies. What struck me first was how similar a lot of things were. Lots of “Space Available” signs, billboards promoting this and that. I saw a Shell gas station. It felt more the same than different. 

We arrived after 40 minutes and Ciro (pronounced Cheero) and his wife Ambra were home. They were kind and friendly but spoke minimal English. Luckily I had a translation app that helped. The room was ready when I arrived. I decided to take a shower and a short nap before heading out. I woke up at 2pm. Rome time and went straight to the Vatican to St. Peter’s Basilica.  It was about a 20 minute walk and I entered through the side. When looking at the St. Peter’s the 2 colonnades represent the open arms of the Church. I entered through the left arm straight into St. Peter’s Square lots of barriers to move people into the right place. I took a few pics then saw the line and got in line. I wasn’t even sure what it was for but I figured it was a good thing to do. It turns out that it is the line to get through security to get into St. Peter’s Basilica. Once through the line you choose either the gift shop and the Cupola or the Basilica. I went to the Basilica. As I went through I was in awe. It is HUGE and amazingly beautiful. I took lots of pictures.
St. Peter’s Square 

St. Peter’s Basilica 

Bl. Pope John Paul II

The first thing on the right is a wall which in actuality is the sealed door of Jubilee that is open only in the year of Jubilee, according to the Catholic Church that will be the year 2025. Then in a room with glass doors is The Pieta by Michaelangelo. Shortly after that is the tomb of St. John Paul II. I was able to go and pray for a little bit. I prayed for EVERYONE who I love, who has supported me on this trip and everyone who asked for prayers. I kept all of you in my prayers. So if you felt a little extra peace that was God answering prayers. After that I walked around some more. I made it just in time for 6pm Mass! I was so very happy and excited to be attending Mass at St. Peter’s Basilica. It was of course in Italian but it was still nice and the music was lovely, a group of ladies wearing blue scarfs. 

After Mass I left, I saw a public restroom so I went there, also just in time the lady working closed right after me. Then I walked through the souvenir shops trying to get an idea of the selection. Everything was about the Canonization, lots of Pope Francis, St. John Paul II and St. John 23rd and Pope Emeritus Benedict. For some reason nothing with all four of them. There was a lot of Pope Francis and the 2 Saints or Pope Francis and one Saint, but not all 4; which was weird to me because it was the day of 4 Popes. Someone had asked me for a beautiful cross. There were a lot of beautiful crosses it was hard to choose. After that I grabbed some dinner and a little wine and walked back to my bed and breakfast around 8pm. I tried to watch a little TV but it was all in Italian, finally landed on Madagascar the movie.

Day 3 Thursday April 24, 2014 First Full Day Site Seeing

I went on this trip by myself because I really, really, really wanted to go and I was not going to let the fact that there was no one going with me stop me. If I had the money I would have paid for someone to go but as it was I was just able to go myself. Mom wanted to come but since we both babysit she was covering my babysitting. Also Mom is going to Mexico this summer and fall for a wedding. So I went by myself. I was hoping to run into someone but I was also happy to just be able to do what I wanted when I wanted and not have to ask anyone what they wanted or if this was ok. Everyone is now forewarned traveling with me is at turbo speed. The goal is to cover as much as possible on foot to see the most of Rome, this means no metro or busses. My feet were not really happy with this plan but they got me all over Rome on foot so I am thankful. 

First stop was the Piazza di Spagna aka The Spanish Steps. I went there because it is iconic, beautiful and on my list. But I went their first because when Nathan Fillion was in Rome he went there and hid something for a fan to find. I thought that was soooo cool. The great thing about Rome is that they have plenty of water spickets pouring water to drink. I found one and filled my cup. Then I went into the church at the top. It is small and under renovations. As I was leaving I passed the Intercontinental Hotel Del Ville, definitely 5 star hotel with a doorman in a nice red uniform. I asked him if I may use the restroom. He gave me direction to turn right then left. So I entered as if I knew where I was going. Bathrooms are not very nice in most public areas. Most are a step above Port-a-potties. This one was absolute luxury; beautiful décor, large mirror, full door and a lovely seat. My favorite was the soap and lotion dispensers above the washcloths that were rolled up in a basket. It had a very rich feel and was definitely refreshing.

My second stop according, to my app itinerary, was Via Veneto which was made famous by the movie La Dolce Vita and is where the Hard Rock Rome is located. It’s a pretty street.


The Spanish Steps

Intercontinental Hotel de Ville

Hard Rock Rome on Via Veneto

Then I made my way to my 3rd stop The Trevi Fountain where legend has it, if you throw a coin in the fountain you get to return to Rome. So there are lots of people in front of the fountain taking pictures and tossing coins. The best app I downloaded is mtrip a Rome City Guide and 100% offline. It uses GPS and gives direction to your next location. It can generate an itinerary for you or you can decide what to see on each day. It also has a subway map and currency converter. It was really helpful when the letters were too small on the map. 

Fourth stop is the Colosseum. On the way though we passed the National Monument to Victor Emmanuel II the first king after Italy had been unified in 1870. According to my guide there is a rooftop cafeteria. My first view of the Colosseum was of scaffolding. There was renovation or maintenance happening so it does obstruct the first view. As I approached there were more Roman Ruins  and more renovation/constructions going on so a big construction zone site is put up. Once I arrived at the Colosseum there were many vendors. I had my IPhone camera and a SLR camera that a friend lent me for the trip so I alternated between the two. I took a lot of pictures. 

The Trevi Fountain

The Colosseum

The Holy Stairs
 
My fifth stop The Holy Stairs. By the time I arrived it was 1:30pm. It was closed. But the cleaning ladies I found said it would reopen at 3pm. I was tired, hungry and my phone needed to recharge. I decided to dine at the Ristorante Cannavota, it appeared to be an old family restaurant. By old I mean that the entire staff was older, definitely over 50 maybe even over 60, 3 men and a woman at the register. No young people at all. The food was delicious. The service at this restaurant was excellent and I was allowed to charge my phone. I did use their restroom before I left at 3pm. It was nice, very decent, and not yucky in the least. I walked back over to The Holy Stairs. These are the Holy Stairs that were brought over from Pontius Pilate’s Praetorium where Jesus was on trial. So it is believed that Jesus climbed these very steps during his trial with Pontius Pilate. I entered and basically you stand there waiting your turn to go up the stairs prayerfully on your knees, no rushing, very respectful. I prayed a lot for EVERYONE, my family, my supporters, my prayer requests, my Twitter Tweeps and all my Browncoat friends and old friends and Disney co-workers. I prayed a rosary, I prayed for healing and for peace. Once I made it to the top I checked out the gift shop, bought something and continued on my way.

The easiest thing was go back to the Colosseum but I wanted to see something new.  My sixth stop was the big church I had passed earlier San Giovanni in Laterano. The Papal Archbasilica of St. John Lateran is the cathedral church of the Diocese of Rome and the official ecclesiastical seat of the Bishop of Rome, who is the Pope. According to my guide it statesAs the cathedral church of the Bishop of Rome, it ranks above all other churches in the Catholic Church, including St. Peter’s Basilica. For that reason, unlike all other Roman Basilicas, it holds the title of Archbasilica.

San Giovanni in Laterano

Lucky me I did not realize this at the time. I just walked in trying to go through. It is very grand as well and it did remind me of the grandness of St. Peter’s Basilica. There was a room for adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, so I stepped in a prayed a little more. I took a few pics and made my way out I was headed toward my next stop.

My seventh stop was the Circus Maximus which used to be a great stadium where they had chariot races. It has been featured in many movies. Unfortunately what was once a grand stadium is now just a patchy grass area with remnant grooves of the race track. It was I must say quite disappointing to see it in such a state. After that I decided to walk along the River Tiber, I took lots of nice pics and then I noticed on the map that the Roman Pantheon was nearby so I made my way toward it. The Roman Pantheon was my eighth stop. This happens to be the oldest building in Rome. It was rebuilt twice after 2 fires destroyed it. The third rebuilt structure has stood since the year 126 AD. As you enter, it is into a rotunda, with huge walls and dome. It is a church, very ornate and beautiful.

Circus Maximus

Area Sacra

Roman Pantheon 126 A.D.
 

Piazza Navona

From the Bridge of Castel San Angelo
Castel San Angelo

Pizza Margherita and a Beer
 
After lots of pictures I made my way to my ninth stop the Piazza Navona. It was once the site of a stadium so it is open and wide. It is a great place to hang out and just be. They have a great ice cream parlour called Tre Scalini. A lot of artist both painters as well as performers. Unfortunately for me I was too tired and all I really wanted was to just be in my bed. So I continued walking. I needed to cross The River Tiber I decided to cross at the bridge that led to Castel San Angelo. It was all lit up and quite lovely from the outside. Although I passed it all the time I never actually made it in. I finally made it back to my hotel around 10pm. I was super tired.

Day 4 Friday April 25th, 2014 Rest and Evening Pics

I missed breakfast. At Altamira they give you a voucher to go and get your free breakfast. It is a short walk but it felt like too much trouble. I still had some snacks so I decided to stay in and sleep some more. I was sore and exhausted from all that walking around. I set the alarm for 2pm to make sure I did not sleep the entire day. I figured more walking was a good idea because I was so sore. It felt like when you work out and the best thing is to go work out again to work out the soreness. I decided to go back to The Holy Stairs to pray again for everyone. I walked by the Colosseum again and took a few pics, then continued to the Holy Stairs. This time I decided to go up in the middle. The center is harder but ironically faster. So I decided faster would be better. I wanted to make sure I covered everyone in prayer, family, friends, Tweeps, Browncoats, co-workers and all prayer requests for healing. I prayed for everyone who supported me financially and prayerfully. I could truly feel the prayer coverage.

ate snacks all day, no actual meal. I was going and going and trying to get back to the Colosseum. I found a store that sold fruit so I bought oranges, kiwi and bananas. I did not go back the easy way. I of course took a scenic route. It was very pretty however there was an uphill part that I did not like. I finally made it back to the Colosseum and I was thirsty. I did not want to buy water I had my travel cup. I was looking for a water spicket. Finally I figured out it was blocked by a cart that was selling food and drink. So I drank a lot and filled my cup. I went to sit on a low wall and wait. It was 8pm so I was waiting for it to get dark. At 8:15pm the lights started to turn on inside of the Colosseum. I waited and watched lots of people taking pics in front of the Colosseum. Finally I looked at the time it was 8:23pm. It was still not fully dark but it does look like twilight. I couldn't wait any longer. I was tired and still had to walk all the way back, about a 90 minute walk. So I took a picture of myself with the Colosseum behind me at twilight and then just the Colosseum at twilight and I am off.

Colosseum at night
Monument to Vittorio Emmanuell II
Enjoying Gelato


I took more night shots as I was walking up Corso Vittorio Emmanuelle. This time I did take the easy way back to get the night shots. The Monument to Vittorio Emmanuel II is where the first king of unified Italy lived. I also bought gelato just before crossing the bridge to take me back to my side of the river. I walked by the Vatican and finally back to my room. I got back around 10pm and had to pack my bags.

Day 5 Saturday April 26, 2014 No Hotel Camping out for Canonization

Check out was at 10am. I woke up and took a shower and checked out. I went to get my breakfast. I had to drop my bags off at my second hotel St. Peter Guest House. Luckily it was closer and on my way to the Vatican. I went and dropped things off. Roxanna was very kind, friendly and offered me the use of a key to the lobby area so that I could use the restroom and grab a snack if needed from the kitchen dining area. It was available to me all day so that was a blessing to know I had it available.

I went to the Vatican Museum since I bought tickets for a tour of the Museum and the Sistine Chapel. For anyone who does not know the Sistine Chapel is where Michaelangelo covered the entire ceiling with individual paintings. The most famous is the 2 fingers tips reaching out to touch, this is called The Creation of Adam. The important factor about the Sistine Chapel is that this is where the Cardinals meet when they are selecting a new Pope. This Chapel is where it all takes place.

There was a long line to buy tickets. There were many tour guides offering their services. I bought mine online and so I was able to skip that line and get my ticket. They had security checks and a bag check area to drop off large bags. My backpack was heavy so I was excited to leave it in bag check. I made my way through the museum gift shop trying to think what I might want. I kept walking and it turns out they have several gifts shops throughout the museum to buy items from. I picked up a map and just started following people. The Vatican Museum is very very large and full of super old stuff. It has been made into a one way route so you have to decide early on: the whole thing or the short route to the Sistine Chapel. This being my first time I took the long way. It is so very long. It really seemed never ending. I finally arrived to a place that looked like the Sistine Chapel because there were paintings on the ceiling and it had the same arch and I did not know exactly where I was. There were these amazing Tapestry maps showing the topography and borders of the known land; truly beautiful art work. I will freely admit that I do not like looking at all this old stuff. I kept going because I was afraid of missing out on something.

Finally entered the Sistine Chapel, I stepped in and literally it took my breath away, I gasped in awe. It was amazing, really overwhelming and incredibly beautiful. It is a holy place so no photography is allowed. They have guards telling folks to keep moving, silence and no pictures. I walked in looked about and then went to kneel to pray a rosary in this most holy of places. I was behind the guards and one noticed I was praying and he allowed me to go up and pray at the altar. He was instructing others to move along but invited me to go up and pray. I was honored. Again I prayed for all of you. That has to be my favorite moment, hard to choose since I had so many but that one is up there. After praying I looked around and made my way out. There were more Museum shops so I bought postcards of the Sistine Chapel and a picture of the interior to show where I prayed. I continued along the museum, more artwork. At this point I am getting tired. So I rushed through. I did stop at another gift shop and they had a Chaplet bracelet made of malachite, my favorite rock. I was very happy there was one at a reasonable price so I bought it. Then I found more chaplet bracelets so I bought 3 to give away as presents. Finally I made it out to the beautiful spiral staircase and I took a picture, one of my favorite pics.

Vatican Museum

Spiral Staircase
 
After exiting the Vatican Museum I saw a restaurant that had an older gentleman asking people if they were hungry. I was so I told him I needed to charge my phone he smiled, we went in found a plug and I was set. I ordered lasagna since I had spaghetti and pizza already. I also ordered a medium beer. I don’t normally drink alcohol but since I wasn’t driving I decided that it was ok to have a drink. I was done eating and drinking but my phone was not fully charged so I ordered some French Fries. I should have ordered a cappuccino but I forgot. I did remember to use the restroom before I left. It was starting to rain once I left the restaurant. Phone fully charge I pulled out my umbrella, bought a poncho and made my way to St. Peter’s Square. I saw a large group walking toward St. Peter’s so I just followed them. I was looking to see if there was any group I could join. Finally I saw some people in a circle in chairs speaking English. I joined their group briefly but then Security started to clear the Square. The police would not allow anyone to spend the night in the square. I asked a police man where we could wait. He said come back at 5:30am. He did not speak English very well. He did say there would be only one entrance into St. Peter’s Square tomorrow and that was Via della Conciliazione. So I walked over to that street. Found a side street leading into it that had people dancing and sitting on the ground already, Via della Traspontina. I saw a young man dressed as a priest speaking English to his friends about how this seems to be a good spot. They were holding a Texas A&M flag. So I decided that I would stick near them. I spoke to the priest and told him I was alone so I would be him adjacent, not really with them but next to them. They were very kind. Paul Michael Piega is actually an American seminarian studying in Rome. His friends came to join him for this event. I did not catch all their names. The one closest to me I did introduce myself to and his name happened to be Paul Michael as well. He is a Math professor.

Sitting down on at 7pm

Texas A&M Godly Men
 
They all graduated from Texas A&M, they were Aggies and carried the flag with them. They were kind young men, smart and most of all godly men. It was truly a blessing to sit next to them and hear them talk. When tensions increased and people were getting tired and anxious they would break into prayer or worship song. I experienced a great peace and blessing standing near them.

Day 6 Divine Mercy Sunday April 27, 2014 Canonization Day

Around midnight everyone was standing and we began moving forward. I said good bye to the guys and best of luck. I tried to stay near them but it was difficult. Paul Michael, the teacher, kept an eye on me. He didn’t do anything but knowing he was nearby helped a great deal. His friends were up ahead with the Texas A&M Flag. We entered together and that is when we parted ways. I had to go to the restroom. The plan was to find the flag later but apparently security took the sticks and they had to put it away.

At Midnight
At 3am View Behind Me

St. Peter’s Ahead

made it into St. Peter’s Square
 
After 15 hours of waiting for Mass I was physically exhausted. I went to the bathroom and then pulled out a snack. The Canonization Mass began at 10am. It was 2 hours long, in Italian and I was alone in a sea of people. I stood for as much as I could and then would go down and kneel, bend over my backpack. I would stand periodically. I do clearly remember thinking this is it. Hearing Pope Francis say, “San Giovanni Pablo Secundo!” and then a roar from the crowd. It was historic and once in a lifetime moment and I was there. Not 100% mentally but physically and spiritually my heart was there and I rejoiced. The Mass continued. I stood, I knelt and received Holy Communion. I wanted to wait for Pope Francis to leave but then I noticed that he was greeting all the dignitaries. There were like a 100 people there waiting to greet Pope Francis. I do remember Pope Francis greeting Pope Emeritus Benedict before Mass which was just incredibly beautiful. So I took a final pic and then I left. It was still too early to check into my hotel so I went to get something to eat. I was tired so I went with comfort food. I bought Burger King, a large Whopper, fries and a drink. I ate half and then walked over to my hotel. St. Peter Guest House is just marvelous, great staff and great service. They had my room ready so I was able to check in an hour early. I was very tired and very thankful for this blessing. I took a quick shower after spending so much time on the ground I felt dirty. Then I went to sleep.  I woke up and ate the rest of my Whopper Meal and watched a little TV, Kung Fu Panda in Italian. There was a welcome bottle of Chianti on the dresser with a bowl of peanuts and chocolate. I went into the kitchen and found potato chips and fruit. I had no clue how to open a bottle of wine.

Watching Kung Fu Panda
 

Apparently I need practice. I finally managed it and it was delicious. After that I went to sleep again.

Day 7 Monday April 28, 2014 Rest and More Evening Pics

At St. Peter Guest House they ask you to write what time you want breakfast and they prepare it for you. The latest time is 9am. I woke up at 8:30am and went to breakfast. It was definitely worth it to get up. Now I did not know how it worked and no one was there when I arrived but there was a lovely selection. I made myself coffee since I could not operate the Nespresso machine (there was a lever I missed). Finally the girl comes and offers me eggs and a capuccino. There was a lovely, delicious fruit tart and fruit juice as well. Mmmmmm it was delicious. I ended my meal with an espresso. Then I went back to my room. I wanted more rest and more sleep but all the coffee was not helping. I rested more and finally around 12pm I decided going out is a good idea. I took a shower got ready and decided to go back to the Spanish Steps to get night shots of those landmark locations. I walked a different route. This time I went to the Piazza Del Popolo because it is large on the map and I was going to go up to the Villa Borghessi but then decided I did not have enough time to cover everything, Night shots of The Spanish Steps, The Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona. I also wanted to go back to the Hard Rock Café Rome but I did not have time, next trip for sure. It was recommended that I visit Santa Maria Maggiore because it is another truly beautiful church. It was a straight shot down Via Sistina so I decided to go ahead. It turns out the church is beautiful but closed due to a private concert. I was disappointed but hungry and tired. I saw a sign that said Shwarma Station. The Avengers ate Shwarma at the end of the movie so I like eating Shwarma when it presents itself. I was able to order and sit down and watch an Italian game show. It was pretty interesting to say the least; quite entertaining. Finally at 8pm the show ended and I decided this was a good time to go to the Spanish Steps.


Spanish Steps at Night

Trevi Fountain Lit Up

Piazza Navona
 
Now with all the running around I did I forgot where my favorite public restroom was located until I was walking along Via Sistina back to the Spanish Steps. It was really nice to find it again. They did not have the door man out this time so I just walked in like I knew where I was going and I belonged. It was not busy so I had no trouble. Intercontinental Hotel del Ville on Via Sistina at the top of the Spanish Steps to the right. I went and took the night shots of the Spanish Steps. Then I made my way to the Trevi Fountain there was still a large crowd taking pics and throwing coins in wishing to return to Rome. Next stop was the Piazza Navona. I really wanted to see what it was like late at night. It was fully dark now and there were lots of little alley streets. Finally I found the sign that said Piazza Navona. I keep going and someone walking toward me asks about the Piazza Navona. I point in the direction they just came from. They made a face like they did not want to go back. I told them it was large and beautiful. I also showed them the sign. So they called to their family and followed me to Piazza Navona. The weather was nice and there were people around but not as many as I thought. I walked along the entire Piazza and took pics of all the fountains. I decided that after all this walking I deserved a double scoop of gelato on the last leg of my journey home. I arrived back around 10:30pm.

Day 8 Tuesday April 29, 2014 My Last Day Going Back to St. Peter’s Basilica

I decided that I really needed to try to climb the Cupola, the Dome of St. Peter’s Basilica. I had another delicious breakfast. This time she added bacon to my eggs; mmmmm bacon. I rested a little longer but left around 12pm I made my way to the St. Peter’s there were still a lot of people around but definitely less than on Sunday. I saw a long, long, long line. It went all the way across St. Peter’s Square to just about the end of the other colonnades. To get in to St. Peter’s it turned out to be just one hour to go through the security.

St. Peter’s Square
The  Dome of St. Peter’s Basilica
 
Once I made it in I went straight to where it said Cupola tours. I was advised to take the audio tour guide. It was $25 Euros but I figured this was once in a lifetime so I did it and I am very glad I did. It was a small group, 2 couples and I. Our Tour Guide was Antonia and she was very nice and informative.  They gave us ear pieces and she had a microphone piece that provided us with the audio. It was easy and convenient. Everyone was taking the elevator so we were unable to skip that line. Once we went up we were still inside St. Peter’s Basilica’s Dome. I learned that all that color the images are all mosaics. There is only one actual painting in St. Peter’s Basilica and it is in the room of the Blessed Sacrament. 
 
The Blue Lettering around the Dome is 6ft tall and I took a pic of the people below us that looked like ants. We walked around the Dome and then began the climbing. The elevator only goes up to the Dome and then we climb. It is narrow but well lit and Antonia said that someone counted and informed her there were 350 steps. Some steps were straight up, kind of steep, others were spiral and it was easy to get dizzy. We came out to an outdoor landing and we took more pics before going back in to the last leg up. There was a rope down the middle to use to hold on to as we climbed. I was taking pics and Antonia was kind enough to offer to take a picture of me on the steps. I have to say it was a climb! Quite a work out, a little shortness of breath but I continued. Antonia shared a story of someone who had a hard time. Finally near the top she admitted that she had lost a leg and she had a prosthetic leg so this was a challenge for her. That was a nice motivational push. People have had medical issues and not made it all the way up. When that happens everything stops and no on climbs until the doctor arrives.
 
View from the Cupola of St. Peter’s Square     

Rosie at the top

The climb up the Cupola is most definitely worth it. Having Antonia as our Audio Guide was really the best thing because she pointed out everything and explained what we were looking at  and the historical importance. There was plenty of time for pictures. I took pics with my phone and with the SLR Camera I borrowed. My phone pics came out better than ever.  Finally we made our way out. Antonia mentioned that it was possible to go down into the tombs under the Basilica where St. Peter and other Popes were laid to rest. So she was kind enough to direct me to the entrance of the tombs. I went from the highest point in all of Rome to the lowest in the Basilica. Since this is a sacred space no pictures are allowed. St. Peter is laid to rest in a beautiful ornate room. There is a glass door to look inside and it is very well lit. There were velvet ropes preventing entry but I knelt there in front of the glass doors and prayed some more. I am very thankful for this trip and all the blessings that allowed me to participate. I prayed for all those I have been praying for and finally continued along. There are a lot of Popes laid to rest along that walk way. I felt a great sense of peace and joy. So happy to be completing my pilgrimage, someone told me that my pilgrimage would not be complete unless I went all the way down and paid respect at St. Peter’s tomb. So I felt my mission/pilgrimage was accomplished.
 

 
Tomb of St. John Paul II
Mass on my last day at St. Peter’s Basilica
 
As I left St. Peter’s I wanted to pray once more before St. John Paul II. Unfortunately or fortunately there was a large crowd of people wanting the same thing. So the security limited access to the upper level clergy since there were really too many people wanting access. So what did we do? We prayed from behind the barrier. I prayed a rosary; gave thanks to God once more and asked St. John Paul the II to pray for me and my intentions. Then it was time for Mass. The bells rang and I knew what that meant so I made my way to the section where they were celebrating Mass. It was really perfect to be able to celebrate Mass at St. Peter’s Basilica on my first day and on my last day.

After Mass I was hungry. I also wanted to buy some last minute souvenirs so I went to the souvenir shops. I only wish I could have bought more souvenirs for everyone. I ended up buying lots of postcards but everything seemed to run out. I thought of all of you and if I could have I would have bought something for each of you. The other thing I really wanted to do, aside from eat was visit Trastevere. It is an artsy people watching and dining area. However I remember that there was an all you can eat buffet for $9 Euros that I wanted to try, Bulldogs. I finally found it and found a lovely couple who just happened to be in town this week. She bought the trip for her husband for his birthday. Very sweet couple and they were from England. They have a son who is also a Browncoat and Dad took a picture with me so they could show him they met another Browncoat.
After delicious food and drink the couple had to leave. They had a ghost tour of Rome to meet up with. I was too, too, too tired to walk anywhere but home. So I did not make it to Trastevere, something for next time. I walked back to my room and it was a good thing I came back early. One of the girls was having trouble printing my boarding pass so she was waiting up for me. Once I had my boarding pass I thanked her for waiting up. I went to my room and tried to pack my bags. I still had some snacks I did not eat so I had to throw those away. My orange Poncho did not make it back. But somehow I was able to put everything in my suitcase and my backpack. Of course I wore more clothes than needed. You got to do what you got to do! Next was a shower and bed. I was fortunate to find Hawaii 5-0 in Italian. Later I found The Tomorrow People in ENGLISH!!! Then I watched Little Nikita in English as well. Since I took this trip alone not being able to speak in English was a hardship. Having Instagram and posting my pics and getting feedback was very nice. It felt like everyone was with me on this trip.

Day 9 Wednesday April 30, 2014 Going Home
 
 
 
 
I hired another driver to pick me up at 7:30am. I had to be at the airport by 8:30an and I did not want the trouble of catching a train so early in the morning. I was able to have a final lovely breakfast. The lady was kind enough to help me with my luggage and I met my driver waiting outside on time. There was not much talking. He was kind enough to be playing music in English, 80’s I believe. I was tired but very happy to be going home. He dropped my off and pointed the way. I made it through security no problem. Arrived in Charlotte, North Carolina and had to check a bag because I bought perfume from the Duty Free Shop for Mom for Mother’s Day. So I did more fancy packing, wore my SLR camera and stuffed things into my back pack from the suitcase which I was checking. I always hate checking luggage for fear that it will go missing. Unfortunately I had no choice. Also I hate the delay of picking up my bag once I arrive.

Once I went through Customs and Security I grabbed my Starbucks. I love Starbucks and it is a travel companion for me. There are no Starbucks in Rome according to my Starbucks App. I noticed that my departure of 6:05pm was changed to 6:15 pm. I had 2 hours to get something to eat and get on my plane. I always like finding my gate then doing anything else. At the gate the time now shows as 6:30 pm. I know this trick. Pushing the time back 15 minutes means they do not know. So I ask and they confirm they do not know. I ask if we are definitely leaving and he says he does not know that. So I take a breath and go grab dinner. BoJangles is the closest. They offer Fried Chicken and Biscuits. Those biscuits are the best. I love KFC Biscuits. I love Red Lobster Biscuits but BoJangles is the BEST. As I am eating I am checking Twitter. @Nerdist  aka Chris Hardwick tweets asking for info on the fact that: All SoCal Airports have a fly halt. So I start checking Twitter for more information and find out that is the reason we aren’t leaving and it is the FAA who called it. A short while later they say that the Air Traffic Control Computers went down so multiple airports have been affected. The flight from Rome was 10 hours and I was unable to sleep. I just can’t relax. I tried but it was not good. So I am really tired. At this point I start asking for prayer that I get on that plane. I was not ready to spend the night in Charlotte. I was smart enough to give myself extra days off from work but I just want to go home, super tired. 

Finally computers are up and we are good to go. We flew out at Charlotte time aka 4pm LA time. Finally arrive at LAX at 9:15pm.  I was able to catch a few winks this time. Made my way to baggage claim, poor Mom was picking me up, ready to go and I had to make another lap of LAX. She doesn’t like to park. I waited for my bags tired beyond anything and I look and recognize a face. I don’t know this face but it looks like Mark Valley from basically everything. I confirmed it is him through IMDB. I am tired and he is tired and I watch him grab his bag just before I do. I follow him out and watch him get in a cab. I did not want to approach since we are both tired.  I was really tired. Only now as I write this do I realize that Mark was on my flight from Charlotte since he was at my Carousel in baggage claim. He is always fun to watch whenever he pops up. My Mom pulls up I hop in and that is that. I am home.

I hope you were able to live vicariously through my pics and my posts. You were all there in spirit since I kept you in my thoughts and prayers and I definitely felt all of your support. I was able to raise $660 to pay back Amazon for this trip. Thank you all who donated and thank you all who prayed and sent good thoughts. It all helps. I appreciate all of your support. God took me to Italy and you all helped make a dream come true.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment